January 15, 2008

Passed Judgment

What is the procedure for getting an expired judgement off of your credit in Texas?



Hi Jan,

Expired judgment? 

If the judgment appears on your credit report and doesn’t meet the requirements of FCRA 1681c(a)(2) then dispute its reporting with the offending CRA. 

I believe Texas has a ten year statute of limitations for judgments and it is potentially renewable for another ten years.  So, not to be a bummer, but that would mean the CRA could keep the judgment on your credit report for twenty years.  From a practical standpoint, the CRAs commonly drop judgments after seven years.   

Thanks for the questions and hope this helps.


This author is not an attorney and this information should not be considered legal advice.  Please consult an attorney for legal advice.

Comments are closed.

Back to Broken Credit Blog